Sunday, February 8, 2009

Why the Mormon Philosopher?

This was the first post of an abandoned blog I started called "The Mormon Philosopher." I liked some of what I wrote on that blog, so I slurped it into this one when I decided to consolidate.



An excellent question, thanks for asking.

First, because I'm a Mormon, or to use proper nomenclature, I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am a Mormon through and through, and in saying so, I am confessing that I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of the living God and the Savior of the world. I love Him; I love His Church; I love His doctrine. The more I drink it in, the more I apply it to my life, the more I live it, the more I love it. The doctrine of Christ has seeped into the very corners of my soul until it has become an inseparable part of who I am.

In confessing this, by no means am I professing to do a great job--or even a very good job--of living the teachings of the Master. But I will say without hesitation that every single principle of Christ's doctrine that I have put to the test and allowed to become part of me has proven to be true, virtuous, and good, without fail. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has the gospel of Jesus Christ in a fullness and purity that has not been seen on this globe since Adam and Eve left God's very presence in the garden, and I rejoice that I live in a day when I can experience it.

Second, this blog is a repository for my philosophy. Because I never studied philosophy in college, I wanted to make sure I was using the term properly. Within seconds, the miracle of the Internet yielded this definition:

Philosophy

a: pursuit of wisdom
b: a search for a general understanding of values and reality by chiefly speculative rather than observational means
c: an analysis of the grounds of and concepts expressing fundamental beliefs

(http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/philosophy)

I think all three of these definitions suit the theme of this blog quite nicely. This blog, of course, is in no way sponsored or endorsed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; it is merely the thoughts and ramblings of one of its devoted members who is trying to take the lofty principles of truth and light taught therein and apply them to his life.

I welcome your thoughts and questions, with a few conditions. I'm not interested in arguing, or being told I'm wrong and am going to hell, or having someone else define my beliefs for me (after all, I happen to already know what I believe). For that reason, I will moderate comments on this blog, should anyone actually venture to post one.

I am interested in honest and open-minded responses to or questions about my thoughts and beliefs, made by persons who will actually make an attempt to understand the inner-workings my little brain. I don't ask anyone to agree with me, but if you are going to take the time to write a comment and want me to take the time to respond, I ask that you be sincere and respectful. I will try to do the same in all of my ramblings herein.

With all that explanation and disclaimer out of the way, let me say that I'm so glad you stopped by.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome Matt! No questions now, but I'll be following.

    ReplyDelete