Friday, February 27, 2009

Dwelling Together In Unity

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! (Psalms 133:1)

Over the last dozen years or so I have experienced the joy many times of being in the temple with a large group of family, as we have attended together in preparation for missions or marriages. Those experiences are always special and rewarding and give me a glimpse into what eternal life might be like with my whole family intact, in the Celestial Kingdom together.

Last night my wife and I experienced a special temple session just for members of our ward. We had a phenomenal turnout of about 75 people, maybe a little less than half of the adults that we mingle with every week at church. Among them were a handful of couples that my wife and I consider close friends, many more whom we enjoy in our neighborhood and church associations, and even some that for one reason or another we don't interact with often.

There was something refining and exalting about the atmosphere in the Lord's temple that must have softened my heart last night, because as I scanned the room, I felt an affection for all of my neighbors who were there, not just my close friends. It felt like a great privilege, a joyous occasion, to be serving together in such a beautiful place, under such a heavenly influence. I felt a genuine love for them, and a desire to do whatever I can to assist each family in our ward, especially those who weren't present last night, to live faithfully so that we might continue our friendships and associations in the Celestial Kingdom. I felt that brotherly love was so real and alive that I would expect them to feel the same way about assisting me and my family.

As I pondered how much I enjoyed the temple session last night, this scripture came to mind:

And that same sociality which exists among us here will exist among us there, only it will be coupled with eternal glory, which glory we do not now enjoy. (D&C 130:2)

Based on what I felt last night, dwelling together with both family, friends, and neighbors in unity, with eternal glory coupling the earthly affections we have for them, sounds wonderful. To have the privilege of living forever among such fine people would be, well, heavenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment